CDK's Women in Automotive Research Journey
Language of Gender
CDK mines 64k dealership reviews to learn about differences between male and female car-buying experiences.
- Men keep it technical in negative reviews
- Women tend to feel their identity is negatively impacting their treatment, they often feel stressed, taken advantage of or overwhelmed, even before walking in the door.
- Women cite compassion and customer-listening as key to good experiences
Women Dealer Survey
CDK asks women delaers about their experiences in automotive.
- (-) Women report stagnant career growth and most had experienced some form of bias
- (-) Little focus on recruiting, retaining or promoting women
- (+) Most women would recommend the industry and enjoy working with a variety of customers
- (+) Perceptions among those working in a dealership with female leadership were more positive
CDK surveys female job seekers about considering a career in automotive.
- Many women assume a "sales" role is the only high paying job that exists in the dealership
- Women have doubts about dealership pay, benefits and work-life balance
- Women are interested in Customer Experience roles. As a generalization, people-facing jobs appealed most to female respondents
Women in CX interviews
CDK interviews women in dealership customer experience roles.
- Women are transforming customer experiences through problem resolution and active customer listening
- Both customer AND employee centric cultures are key to CX success
- CDK identifies a dealership growth path for women in CX
- The traits identified by women as their strongest are aligned with the traits needed to make a good CX organiztion
Consumer CX Survey
CDK surveys consumers about the role of CX in their recent dealership visit and how different experience factors influenced their perception and likelihood to continue doing business with the store.
- Dealer selection is most strongly influenced by past customer experience
- Customers who interacted with a CX Manager were significantly more likely to recommend a dealership than those who did not; this was inflated for female consumers versus male consumers.
- 97% of those with a CX Manager reported being very or extremely likely to do business with that store again in the future and 94% found it very or extremely important for dealerships to have this role in place.
CDK conducted deep dive interviews with women working in Customer Experience (CX) in dealerships to understand what they do in their CX role, how CX functions within their dealership, why they were
A good customer experience is valued by dealers and customers alike. The creation of customer experience roles helps dealers attract and retain not only customers, but also valuable female talent.
Kathy helped found Women in Automotive, with the goal of empowering and developing women in the auto industry.
With more than 24 years’ experience at CDK, Kathy Gilbert is an accomplished and respected professional within the automotive industry. She has held various roles of significance at CDK and recently accepted the position of Director, Customer Success. In this new role, she builds and leads the new Customer Success Advocate Team, with responsibility for managing the relationship between CDK and its customers.
Five years ago, Kathy helped found Women in Automotive, with the goal of empowering and developing women in the auto industry.
Anny Paré is an accomplished strategic business professional with over 20 years' experience.
Anny Paré is an accomplished strategic business professional with over 20 years' experience. Anny's role expands CDK Global's commitment to growing its Women Retail segment while advocating for increased opportunities for women in the automotive industry. She is looking forward to contributing to our customers' profitability, sustainment, and retention through strong partnerships with CDK Global and their automotive partners throughout North America.
Andy Warner has been an accomplished automotive professional with over 15 years’ experience
Andy Warner has been an accomplished automotive professional with over 15 years’ experience—both in automotive retail and as an automotive retail strategic partner. Andy’s experience has consisted of roles with increasing responsibility in these spaces. Recently, Andy accepted the position of Sales Executive for Minority Dealers. Andy will work to increase CDK Global’s market share and revenue in the minority dealers’ segment while advocating for improved opportunities for minority dealerships. Andy looks forward to helping our customers grow their revenue and performance, improve CDK Global’s retention and strength with minority dealerships and advocate for more possibilities for minority dealerships.