CDK's Women in Automotive Research Journey
Language of Gender
CDK mines 64k dealership reviews to learn about differences between male and female car-buying experiences.
- Men keep it technical in negative reviews
- Women tend to feel their identity is negatively impacting their treatment, they often feel stressed, taken advantage of or overwhelmed, even before walking in the door.
- Women cite compassion and customer-listening as key to good experiences
Women Dealer Survey
CDK asks women delaers about their experiences in automotive.
- (-) Women report stagnant career growth and most had experienced some form of bias
- (-) Little focus on recruiting, retaining or promoting women
- (+) Most women would recommend the industry and enjoy working with a variety of customers
- (+) Perceptions among those working in a dealership with female leadership were more positive
CDK surveys female job seekers about considering a career in automotive.
- Many women assume a "sales" role is the only high paying job that exists in the dealership
- Women have doubts about dealership pay, benefits and work-life balance
- Women are interested in Customer Experience roles. As a generalization, people-facing jobs appealed most to female respondents
Women in CX interviews
CDK interviews women in dealership customer experience roles.
- Women are transforming customer experiences through problem resolution and active customer listening
- Both customer AND employee centric cultures are key to CX success
- CDK identifies a dealership growth path for women in CX
- The traits identified by women as their strongest are aligned with the traits needed to make a good CX organiztion
Consumer CX Survey
CDK surveys consumers about the role of CX in their recent dealership visit and how different experience factors influenced their perception and likelihood to continue doing business with the store.
- Dealer selection is most strongly influenced by past customer experience
- Customers who interacted with a CX Manager were significantly more likely to recommend a dealership than those who did not; this was inflated for female consumers versus male consumers.
- 97% of those with a CX Manager reported being very or extremely likely to do business with that store again in the future and 94% found it very or extremely important for dealerships to have this role in place.
Kathy helped found Women in Automotive, with the goal of empowering and developing women in the auto industry.
Kathy Gilbert is an accomplished and respected professional with more than 25 years of experience in the automotive industry as a business leader and champion of minority and women dealers at CDK Global. In her current role as Senior Director, Minority Dealer and Women in Retail, she leads the relationship between CDK and our minority and women business segments. The strong relationships she has with our dealers, associations, manufacturers and industry partners ensures CDK continues to be a strategic partner that drives growth and empowers our customers to achieve strong business growth.
Stephon W. Jones is in his 14th year with CDK Global, currently serving as Sales Executive, OEM and Partners, Minority Dealer, and Women Retail
Stephon W. Jones has been with CDK Global for 14 years. He currently serves as the OEM and Partners Sales Executive for Minority Dealer and Women Retail segments. Stephon's over 30 years of automotive retail and consulting experience includes graduating from the National Automotive Dealers Association Dealer Academy, Profit/Loss responsibility for three dealerships, and serving as a Performance Improvement Consultant for Lexus, General Motors, Infiniti-USA, and Ford Motor Company throughout the U.S and Canada. He holds a B.S. in management information systems from Ball State University. Stephon is also a decorated Desert Storm combat veteran and former commander in the United States Corps of Engineers. He also represents CDK and his community on several boards that promote scholarship and education for minority students, including the CDK Global and NAMAD Fueling Careers Scholarship Program.
Anny Paré is an accomplished strategic business professional with over 20 years' experience.
Anny Paré is an accomplished strategic business professional with over 20 years' experience. Anny's role expands CDK Global's commitment to growing its Women Retail segment while advocating for increased opportunities for women in the automotive industry. She is looking forward to contributing to our customers' profitability, sustainment, and retention through strong partnerships with CDK Global and their automotive partners throughout North America.