Ready for Disaster: Recovery
The last two weeks we shared how to prepare for a disaster and how to respond in a crisis. But after disaster strikes, you can feel overwhelmed with how to begin picking up the pieces. Find your way back to normal with these steps:
As soon as you’re able, check in with your employees to see how they’re faring. Depending on the situation, some may have been affected at home as well as at work. Talk to your employees about their individual situations and work with them to see who’s ready to help with the recovery efforts.
After you’ve looked after your human capital, begin taking stock of your physical capital. Be sure to document everything as you assessing property damage. Take photos, record details and even take video. Document any conversations you have with authorities, emergency workers and insurance agents.
Get Back on Your Feet
After you’ve taken stock of the situation, you can work towards resuming normal operations.
- Begin clean-up at your location, calling on your community, employees or professionals as necessary.
- Work with your insurance agent to assess the damages and begin the claims process.
- Depending on the extent of damage, consider establishing a temporary location.
- Determine if you need to compensate your employees during recovery. In many states, you also have to pay employees even during emergency situations.
- Communicate with your employees and customers throughout recovery.
You can’t predict disaster; but you can prepare for one. Your preparation can not only help you recover, but it can mean the difference between your dealership surviving a disaster or having to close.